Using Lawnmowers Safely
A lawnmower is fitted with sharp blades in order to cut grass cleanly and evenly. And since there are sharp objects involved, safety concerns come with using this machine.
From the period 1996-2004 alone, almost 670,000 were injured by lawnmowers according to the Annals of Emergency Medicine.
Here are some tips on how you can use your lawnmower safely.
1. Be careful of debris
– mowers, the motorized types in particular, can hurl debris such as rocks with tremendous force. That is why other people should steer clear of it when it is in
2. Be careful of hot surfaces
– there are other injuries caused by touching hot surfaces of the lawnmower. People should therefore avoid coming into contact with a mowers surface when it is being used or right after it has been put into use.
3. When servicing the mower, make sure its turned off
– believe it or not, people are also injured by their mowers when they tried to service the mower without turning the machine off. This isnt only irresponsible, this is
4. Careful with those blades
– as mentioned earlier, the blades of mowers are extremely sharp so people should be careful when handling them or replacing them.
5. Avoid those feet and hands
– running a mower over feet and hands is another cause of lawnmower-related injuries. People operating this machine must avoid mowing where there are people or at least tell the people to move away while gardeners do their job.